Friday, January 6, 2017

Chronicles of the Fractured Sole... well, trimalleolar

In my attempts to remain relatively sane as I heal from my injury, I thought a chronicle blog post over the injury and events following would be insightful to anyone who happens across my blog, or even to myself.

It Was a Roller Derby Accident, I Swear

December 13, 2016 marks the day I would begin a journey from being an independent, able bodied woman to a child just learning how to crawl.  The story of that day is told here.  The doctor tells me I need a better story than slipping on ice, so let us just say it was a Derby accident, ok?

I spent the night in the hospital after my fall, not because of my ankle, but because of my heart rate.  It was too high and not coming down, so they wanted to observe me for the next 24 hours.  While I was glad to be in a bed that was maybe 4 feet from the bathroom and had safety rails, I was also hooked up to an IV for fluids and a telemetry unit.  Going piddle without calling for my nurse was not an option.  I didn't get much rest that night.

Home at last.

Just Laying Around Growing Leg Hair


December 18, 2016 I took my first actual shower since before my fall, because I had to wash with antibacterial soap before my surgery.  Thank heavens my folks have a walk-in shower unit with seats.  I haven't gotten good at balancing like a flamingo yet.  My daughter helped me shower today, as payback for all the times I bathed her.

December 19, 2016 is surgery day.  Lucky for me, I got my period the day before.  So the nurse issued me the standard disposable mesh hospital underwear and thick maxi since wearing your own underwear during surgery is not allowed.  My sister had to help me out a little in undressing and getting situated for surgery.  My family has never gotten to see as much of me as they have now.  Severe injuries are not for the modest.

The day is a bit of a blur, I had some really good drugs.  They did a nerve block in my leg, so I wouldn't feel any pain even after the surgery for up to 24 hours.  The only bad part about my surgery... I woke up and my tongue was half numb.  I have Murphy's luck.  There is a 0.4% chance of nerve injury during intubation.  Yes, I am just THAT lucky.  But I am now bionic, having a metal plate and screws holding my ankle in place.

December 24, 2016, Christmas Eve.  My pain tolerance since the surgery has been pretty tolerable and initially I haven't had to take many pain meds.  But now my leg is swelling so much in my splint, the pain is unbearable, even while elevated.  It registers an 11 out of 10 on the pain scale and I think I am splitting out my sutures.  My doctor's office is closed for the holidays and Mom agrees to take me to the ER in the morning.  I just have to make it one more night.

December 25, 2016, Christmas Day in the ER.  The parking lot does not look full, and there is no one waiting.  Maybe we beat the Christmas rush?  I hobble out of the car and mom gets me a wheelchair from the entrance.  She wheels me over to the triage desk where the nurse asks me how long I have been sick.  I guess she didn't notice I was in a wheelchair with a bandaged leg.  I advise the nurse that I am not sick but am here because I am having intense leg pain and swelling following a surgical procedure.  After telling us how long we might have to wait because of how busy it is, I settle in my chair for the long haul.

Minutes later (and I mean minutes) the triage nurse has my wrist band and wheels me back to the closest exam room.  The PA that comes to check on me and get my complaints takes one look at my bandage and says "Let me go see who is on call.  We don't like to mess with post surgical splints."   She disappears.  Moments later she returns with the doctor on call for orthopedic injuries.  He is more confident about my splint and slices it down the center to remove and check on my leg.  Since I have a history of vascular issues and tenderness in my calf, he orders an ultrasound to look for potential blood clots.



When you are a post surgical patient with potential complications, you can actually get tests and imaging done through the ER pretty quickly.  My ultrasound was good, no clots, so they wrapped me up in my used splint and sent me home with barely a goodbye.  All in all, we didn't spend too much of our day in the ER.

Cast Away

I feel like Tom Hanks, only I don't have a friend named Wilson.  I have a walker decorated with pink camo and white tiger duct tape.  The days are long and boring as I sit with my leg above my head.  Yogis have nothing on me.  I am also getting better at hopping around on one leg, I could make a flamingo jealous.

January 3, 2017 Today is the first day I meet my orthopedic surgeon without being drugged.  Seriously, I was pretty doped up in the ER when I first broke my ankle, and they keep you pretty sedated while you wait for your surgery.  I told him this, and he looked at me kind of funny.  Maybe he thinks I am a druggie?  So I clarify my joke.

The incision looks fine (I will spare you the pictures of that), just one area looks a little inflamed, probably from rubbing on the splint.  The doctor orders the stitches to be removed and a cast to be applied.

Looking good.

Getting my cast on.

Since I am an awesome big sister, I let my little sis pick my cast color and decorate me.
 Molesharkz
 Do not disturb...art in progress.
 Hmmmmmmm


My next appointment is January 24, 2017.  Until then, I will just be sitting here growing leg hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment